Friday, November 21, 2008

How It All Began

August 4th my husband, K, was approached at work about taking over a short term work assignment in Belgium for approximately 2 years. After many days of praying and thinking, we actually decided to move there in the middle of December so he could fulfill the job assignment. Our children are at a wonderful age, not fully rooted yet in their circle of friends, and it would be an opportunity of a lifetime to be so close to some amazing tourist destinations.
When the opportunity first arrived, I sat the kids down (ages 4 and 6) and asked them what they thought about leaving our home to move all the way to the other side of the world. I reminded them that we would be leaving our family and friends behind, not seeing them for a long time. (We live 5 minutes away from my parents right now and I knew that would be a huge change.) My son, R, immediately replied, “Let’s go!” So…we’re going! He has since then acted as a pillar of strength just like his daddy through the crazy stressful moments.
I personally have mixed emotions – obviously I’m scared to death to leave my own little Indianapolis, Indiana world. I do believe the opportunities to experience another culture first hand will far outweigh my desire for my comfort zone, so in that sense I am extremely excited.
We are going to miss our family and friends, but can’t wait to see what kind of adventures are coming our way!

No comments: