Thursday, December 10, 2009

Spilling the Beans

In lieu of a Santa Shop, the kids' school holds a Christmas Boutique where families donate unloved items for regifted treasures. The students are charged 1 euro for each gift purchased for their family members. All proceeds go to the parent/teacher organization.

Low on the donation list this year was dad gifts, so an extra note circulated pleading for more dad donations which resulted in about every father receiving a tie this year. (Hope ours isn't reading this or he'll have a hint about his gift.)

Mom volunteers helped students shop and then wrap the gifts while the children watched, elated at their purchases. Chatting with them about their gift selection while wrapping that day was just plain fun! You could see the pride on their faces as they thought of the person that would be receiving the lovingly purchased gifts.

My daughter shopped on Monday and then R on Tuesday. Upon seeing her Monday evening, she immediately told me I would just love her gift. She exclaimed, "Mommy, it's something you love. Do you want to guess? Well, can I just tell you? It starts with a 'p'," all in one breath. So I tried to be a good mom and ward off her temptation to tell me by changing the subject or talking about someone else's gift. (Even though I already knew what it was by process of elimination since I worked there all day Monday.)

We then placed her gifts under the tree, and this did help distract her mind from the excitement until tonight when we ventured out to pick up the gift R bought for her. Apparently it was too large to send home on the bus, so I received a note Tuesday saying I needed to pick it up tonight. While dealing with this, she brought back out the gift for me, placed it on the kitchen table and said, "Mommy, why don't I just tell you what it is and you forget that I told you?!" How can you say 'no' to that comment? What a great idea!
So, this wrapped gift below is...

Some of this type of stuff called polish pottery. Yes, I do love it and have already been to the Netherlands with girlfriends to purchase some decorative serving pieces. Boy, kids don't miss a thing!

So, I probably could have won an Academy Award with my reaction to her spilling the beans, and I'll hopefully win another when I open my forgotten about present.

Note to friends here: I know you're wondering, "Who would be getting rid of polish pottery????" Well, I lucked out because this brand new gift was donated by our PTP because it was a silent auction basket that didn't receive a bid. I'm not quite sure why, but I'll take it!

1 comment:

julie said...

Oh my gosh!!!!! You got Polish Pottery? Lucky mom! We are planning a big trip to the outlet on January 29. Let me know if you want to go.