Thursday, August 12, 2010

There's Gotta Be a Club for People Like My Son

So we were off to Indy for our first visit in 18 months and the kids and I were thrilled! Our kids both woke the morning of our flight out of Brussels with tummy aches. I realized this could become a crazy morning so I packed a big Ziploc baggie in my purse just in case. Sure enough, within 15 minutes of our 35 minute ride, R really had to vomit, so I whipped out my baggie (much to my husband's surprise) to alleviate any mess in the van. The driver K always uses (so we didn't have to pay for parking for an entire month) probably realized after the 5th episode that something suspicious was going on back there. My husband thought I was the best wife in the world as he knows I don't usually carry baggies in my purse, so he knew I had come prepared!

Upon arriving to the airport, we encountered another expat family heading back to the States. The mom of that family had issues with the other end, so we exchanged meds in the airport...she had Motilium for nausea and I had Immodium for the other. Perfect!

We boarded the flight and R rested while watching a few movies and playing some video games. Exiting that plane without any drama was wonderful!

Stuck in JFK airport for a few hours, and then a few more, and then a few more after that, the kids both ended up sleeping on the airport floor as it was about 2AM our time. We were in the process of pulling an all nighter while trying to make it back to Indy. Finally, we boarded the plane only to wait on the hot tarmac for another hour. This is when the nightmare happened. R (sitting next to K) felt the urge again and K couldn't whip out a bag soon enough, so chunks flew everywhere. I'm talking the guy seated behind him even needed a wipe. It was absolutely horrible! It didn't help either that the lady behind us was making sounds like, "Oh no! Oh, gross!" while holding her shirt over her nose. Grow up! As if we weren't embarrassed enough!

Poor little guy! He couldn't help it. So, I was about to cry when the stewardess approached and asked, "What would you like to do?" Well, at that point we could either taxi back to the airport, find a taxi to a hotel, and try again the next day IF any flights were available, OR we could just keep going and get to Indy. I told her we just needed to get home. The kids had been traveling all day and it would take the same amount of time to get to a bed either way, so we might as well still head to Indy. Besides, he had already stunk up the plane. There wasn't anything worse that could happen now.

The funny thing is always when kids are talking to each other in the back seat of the car. We were bringing another little boy to come swimming with us when the subject of airplanes came up and the other little guy confessed that he had vomited on a plane before. That's when R piped up, "Oh yeah, me too!" That's when I thought to myself, "Hmmmm...there's gotta be a club for this!" Wonder what they call it?

2 comments:

Tse Family said...

How are you? We've been thinking about you guys. Hope all is going well. (Very descriptive post here-chunks and everything ;0)
We drove thru Indy on our never-ending journey...waved hi to your parents. Miss you!
(My word verification was 1 letter off from your name, weird!)

Dallas said...

Oh no! Poor R. And I can't believe the adult woman felt it was necessary to comment. Glad you all made it back and that he wasn't traumatized by the situation.