Monday, September 14, 2009

My First Dental Experience

I've heard the opinionated rumors declaring dentists aren't as competent here as back home, but with us not returning to America for a while I really needed a good teeth cleaning. I opened my trusty green booklet with names and numbers of professionals recommended by other families in the school.

I walked right in to the dentist's office which is one room complete with her files, desk, computer, dental chair, and everything else she needs for her profession. We chatted at 3:25-3:30 and she filled out a card for me with my medical information. By 3:30 I was sitting in the chair, mouth opened, ready to go when I heard some kind of motor starting on this little power tool she held in her hand. This is the part where she is supposed to scrape my teeth with the little silver poky thing, and suddenly I felt the worst pain I can ever remember feeling and it was coming from a motorized scraper? I've had 2 children, mind you, so nothing should be quite as uncomfortable. I will just say I embarrassingly had uncontrollable tears streaming down the sides of my face as the pain felt like razorblades slicing my gums. (I'm such a people pleaser that I'd rather not tell her how badly it hurt. I'd rather just take it and never go back.) The screeching noises - identical to fingernails on a chalkboard, were my teeth scraping the cleaning device. It only lasted for about 5-7 minutes...I can't completely remember, but after the unbearable few minutes it was over. Relief. I had just enough time to wipe my eyes as she turned to answer the phone...I was wondering, "Does she even realize how badly this hurts? Do all Europeans go to the dentist when it produces so much pain?" I would think not.

Then came the polishing, not with gritty stuff, but something smoother. She proceeded to tell me everything looked good and I didn't need to come back for another year...just enough time to forget how badly it actually hurts. I paid her while she filled out a medical reimbursement form for me and was out in my car by 3:45. How can they do their jobs so quickly here and get me scheduled so soon as well? I had called last week to make the appointment for today. Back home I have to whip out my calendar and dream ahead to what I'll be doing 6 months in advance to schedule a cleaning.

I called K to tell him how it went, honestly. I was acting as the guinea pig for dental cleanings in Belgium. He actually has a choice as to whether he gets his teeth cleaned here or in Indiana since he goes back so frequently. My guess is he'll choose the latter. Guys can sometimes be wimps. As for me, I'm just secretly praying we'll be moving back home next summer so when my "year" rolls around, I'm back to the scraping by hand and teeth cleaning that lasts for about 45 minutes.

No comments: