Saturday, December 20, 2008

Driving in Europe

Now Tuesday came and K was off to work, but we still only have one car (and no internet, phone, or television by the way which is why I haven't been able to e-mail people or update the blog...sorry!). We have to all get up and drive K to work. Now, I'm not complaining, because I really like it here and we've already had some memorable experiences as a family. Also, I can have patience for a few weeks until our air shipment arrives and our Belgacom services are hooked up. Until then, we have to be a little flexible and roll with the punches.

K made me drive because I honestly think he didn't think I could make it back home (about a half an hour drive) by myself and two children safely. I did make it home, but I can't believe it. So, I'm going to measure the street as soon as our tape measure arrives so I can prove to all of you that the streets do not have enough room to have one row of parked cars on the curb as well as two lanes of traffic. There is no way 3 rows of cars fit on these city streets. I have no clue how there aren't more accidents here. I caught myself closing my eyes as I envisioned our car being sideswiped and the sideview mirror knocked off so many times! Then driving back to get K in the dark was even more challgenging. The next two days I told him he could just have the car. The kids and I could stay at home and play Mario Kart.

Also, the street we live on has about 7 areas that are sharply curved with curbs along both sides so you have to steer the car like an Indy 500 racer. It is so crazy I took a picture for you all to see, but we can't get it up yet until some of our equipment comes on the sea shipment. K is seriously scared that the tires on our car are only going to last a few months because I hit the curbs so much. When our friends Joe and Beth come visit they are going to think they've died and gone to the Formula One Heaven!

2 comments:

indybeth said...

We can't wait to check out those curvy roads! It sounds like fun! Joe would probably have too much fun! Your blog is so great! I am so impressed! You are doing a good job keeping up on it. It is fun and interesting to read. Take care! Love, Beth

BelgiumBound said...

Thanks! I've had a lot of fun writing all of this! :)