Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Castle of Lavaux-Sainte-Anne







One more thing to get used to...tourist sites are not open on Mondays. We ended up staying home yesterday because every where we decided to go there became a recurring theme: Closed Mondays. So we headed out today and toured a castle in a nearby city. This castle is on the front cover of a book given to me by one of my students. (Thanks Emily and family!) It is thought that this castle was built around 1450 and is surrounded by a moat because of the plain area it was built on. First we strolled outside the castle along the moat and were greeted by about 9 deer. K took some pictures of them grazing. It continues to surprise us that the Europeans aren't concerned about safety issues and possible lawsuits just waiting to happen. There were a few areas where my children could have slipped and fallen into the almost frozen over moat water. (It's 0 degrees Celsius here today. For my class back home...do you know what temperature that is in Fahrenheit? If you send me the correct answer via e-mail I'll write your name in lights on my blog!!) Anyway, in the US that would never fly. We would have some kind of barrier so any toddler or speedy fast child couldn't fall into the moat.
After that we ventured inside where we read about various past activities that occurred in each room. Inside is also where a Museum of Hunting and Nature Conservation is located as well. Many locally found animals that had been hunted were placed throughout the castle. Later on we even played hide and seek in the garden area. Once again the kids were very well behaved and thoroughly enjoyed our own little tour. I'm so thankful because when we first decided to move here I was uncertain how the kids would do visiting tourist sites. Honestly, I could hear, "Carry me!" when I thought of our family walking on cobblestones and climbing treacherous stone steps, but they have risen to the (few so far) occasions and surprised me with their stamina. Let's hope this continues!

No comments: