Saturday, March 7, 2009

Grocery Store Fun

Ever since we first arrived in Belgium, the grocery store has been a unique experience whether you want to discuss products named in french, slicing your own bread, unrefrigerated milk and eggs, various meat options not even available in Indiana unless you're a hunter (rabbit, horse, etc.), bringing your own bags, bagging your own groceries, paying for a grocery cart, it seems the list is endless.
I have to admit there is one new way of buying groceries here I just LOVE! At the local Delhaize (pronouced del-ehz) you can scan your own groceries as you shop, place them in your bag, hand your scanner over to the check-out lady, pay, and go! It's really so easy and you leave in a great mood thinking of how much time you saved! The Belgians do have a random check to make sure you're being honest with the grocery scanning, but out of the 3 times I've done it so far, the only time I was "controlled" was the very first time I tried it. Does this remind all of your girls of when you registered for your wedding or new baby, and the men wanted to be in control of the scanner? I think the person who came up with this system is a woman, and it's a great plan...I see so many men at the grocery store now! It has to be the scanners - men love that kind of toy!
One more comment about the grocery store...oeufs (eggs). We all know they come from chickens, but I don't need the proof. I frequently will check the eggs for any broken ones as many of you do, only to find random surprises...feathers tucked in the carton. I purposely purchased this dozen to prove it to you!

No comments: