Monday, March 23, 2009

Making it Just Like Home

Easter egg hunts, pictures with the Easter bunny, crafts about Easter, all of these things we did at my parents' church back home, so when the American Women's Club had a similar program Sunday afternoon, we were there!




K was leaving for England, so the kids and I headed to the AWCB after church for the Easter Party. They started off coloring some Easter pictures on beautifully decorated pastel colored tables decked out with balloons on the chairs while enjoying a snack of goodies as this was also a pitch in.


"What kind of flowers are these going to be?" I asked as the children then ventured outside to plant some bulbs. "Oh, we don't know!" claimed the sweet ladies helping the kids plant and water their bulbs. "It'll be a surprise!" Little do they know that at my house it will definitely be a surprise if the things even grow at all. I'm not known for my green thumb!


After planting the mystery flowers, we played some Easter Bingo only to have J win a cute little Ikea tea set! How funny because I can count on one hand the number of times she's played with her adorable kitchen upstairs, but she assured me these things would be put to use! Anybody up for a bet?

Right as we were finishing the game of Bingo, some children noticed a peculiar looking over sized bunny rabbit outside dropping not eggs, but various chocolates and candies all over the lawn. Good thing it was another sunny day in Belgium so we could have the hunt outside. That rabbit stopped by to tell the children to get their Easter baskets and head out. All of the kids found candy...it was everywhere! I finally had to tell my own two that they had enough in their baskets. Why is it that they never believe me? R argued with me as if I was going to let him eat the whole stash on the way home. There is always this need to have more, even though we're still working on the Valentine and Christmas candy. I used to be able to sneak it out of the house, bring it to school and dump it in our treat box, but now it's just accumulating in my huge baggie in the cabinet, waiting for me to take a few pieces every day since the children quickly forget it's even there after 2 days.


I was chatting with the coordinator later telling her how fun the day was when she made the comment, "Well, we just want to help the kids to feel like they're back home." They sure did a great job at that!



Even though the sun is right in our eyes, we are not complaining one single bit because we savor each and every minute the sun is shining here!


All in all we had a wonderful time - and the funny thing is we got a call from K right as we were finishing up asking where we keep the passports. Don't you just love how men act like they never know where anything is located in the house? He had arrived at the airport only to realize right before he parked the car that he had forgotten his! He zoomed home to retrieve it and made his flight with about 30 min. to spare.

No comments: