Sunday, March 7, 2010

Get 'Er Done!

Our mission for touring 13 miles of Paris on foot March 7 was accomplished: Cross the finish line!

Picking up our pink AKA 'slow' bibs. We are definitely in the jogging - not running - group!

The camaraderie at these events amazes me. I can't even begin to describe the ambiance of running in a race. We started out in the very back corral dancing to "Tonight's Gonna Be a Good Night" until we crossed the start line. Along the route random people outside the barricades shouted, "Allez" in french to us, which means "go". Everyone cheering along the route was cheering for my friends and me. We just know it!

There were so many tear jerking moments like witnessing a man with some kind of condition where his legs don't quite work like ours. He was running with a cane for 13 miles! There was the lady with a breast cancer t-shirt with a few inspirational friends taking turns pacing her, encouraging her every step of the way. Then there's the 55 year old guy willing to give us a 10 mile tour of France while we questioned the name of every beautiful building along the route...he ended up being faster than my friends and me, so we allowed him to go ahead of us.

Of course there's the crazy outfits...sorry everyone, I didn't want any extra weight on me, so my camera was not a necessity for my pockets during this race. Running with us were some male ballerinas in bright pink tutus, a lady with orange boas wrapped around her, and many other crazily dressed people just wanting to have a great time.
Supposedly this guy was there last year, but not to be found this year. Perhaps he's retired.


Here's my official bib and just to prove I finished, my medal. J was disappointed I didn't come in first, but you can't always be first!
These are what I walked in to the house to find since my husband is in the states.
I'll post some more pictures later of us, but I don't have the photos just yet.

1 comment:

Reid said...

CONGRATS Amber. Can't wait to celebrate your major accomplishment tomorrow.