Sunday, June 13, 2010

Santorini, Greece (3rd stop of cruise)

Looking at the island from our ship (above)

The books say there are 3 ways up the cliffs of Santorini: walking, riding a donkey (my husband weighs too much for this option), or riding a gondola.
Our ship from the gondola ride (above)

Monks ringing bells
All the blue and white buildings of Oia.
What an amazing creation. Santorini is basically a volcano with a sunken inside which filled with the sea.
Below you can see the volcanic rock that makes the island
House upon house was layered on top of each other almost. Narrow cobblestone sidewalks paved the way through the area, which would have me lost quickly.



My personal photographer snapped so many shots of this island that it's impossible to choose my favorite pictures.
The taxi driver helped us find this little restaurant so we could watch the sunset during dinner. It was on the left of the picture, right on the water making us nervous about the kids plummeting into the water.
Watching the sunset in Santorini...






1 comment:

Reid said...

Wow. I am so glad you were able to enjoy. I especially love the photos of the island from the ship. That was a view I didn't have. Can't wait to see where you go next!