Sunday, August 2, 2009

Antwerp Zoo, Belgium (July 3rd)



I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the character of the Antwerp Zoo, but now that we're home and looking at pictures, I guess we didn't quite capture that in the photos. We'll just have to go again.
The Antwerp Zoo was here long before much of the city was built around it. The train station (a beautiful one I might add) is right near the entrance. We glanced inside, admiring the beauty of the architecture and were astounded when we witnessed this event out of the clear blue. Just click on the link to see what we saw.
We found all the normal zoo friends here and I even spotted some animals that live at my house.
As we turned a corner, we found these penguins out in the near 70 degree weather instead of the freezing atmosphere we're used to seeing them nest at home. I wondered out loud why they were in the warmer climate and my son said, "Well, Mom, they are supposed to be out here...they're probably from Argentina." What? Where did he gain that knowledge because according to the zoo sign, he's right! Remember, he's my child that reads for about an hour each night in bed. So, I'm thinking he's read some animal books from when I used to teach second grade when in reality I find out that when you pick a team for soccer on the XBOX, (Argentina for example) you see some facts about the countries, like there are certain penguins residing in the warm climates near Argentina.
Smiles kept coming when the kids felt the nibble of fish on their fingers in this petting zoo area.
Petting the fish is allowed, just as long as you don't try the action below.
Luckily, we didn't witness any of that happening!

No comments: