Sunday, August 9, 2009

Versailles, France (July)

After kicking off our own version of Tour de France, but by way of car, we left Paris to tour the chateau in Versailles, France.

In 1837 King Louis Philippe opened this palace as a museum after the royal family had been evicted.
The Hall of Mirrors is impressive with mirrors along the left (a luxury at the time) and chandeliers hung throughout the room. Putting an end to WWI, here is where the Treaty of Versailles was signed.


Chapel in the chateau

Outside, my children produced masterpieces in the sandy, rocky walkway overlooking the gardens. Are these two bored or what?



These two paupers are displaying the royal gardens.

Overall, I was a little disappointed in the chateau. I had heard great things about Versailles and this place, but it just didn't seem outstanding to me. I enjoyed the tours of Windsor Castle (England) and the castles in Germany much better. Maybe it was because the family sold most furniture pieces decorating the chateau, making it seem empty, I'm not quite sure.

No comments: