Sunday, April 5, 2009

Are You Smarter Than My Pre-K Kid?

Each Saturday and Sunday morning we have scrambled eggs with melted cheese slices and pancakes with syrup. That's just what we do and the kids expect it. So this Sunday we were eating our breakfast when K decided to pour out his syrup in a swirl as J watched and said, "Hey, you're making a swirl like Klimt." What? We all paused to try and figure out what she had just said. Now, I know I'm a naive girl from a little city in Indiana, and I am over here to gain some culture. I just didn't know it would be from my 5 year old daughter. After our few second pause, we figured out she was talking about her classroom study of an artist named Gustav Klimt who actually (once we looked him up on the internet) had some pretty inappropriate sketches and paintings. The preschool kids didn't study those of course (whew!). They studied his and other artists' patterns and she had identified their works to me during her student led conference. I was blown away, and still am by the knowledge and culture exposure my children are receiving here.

No comments: