Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My Parents' First Belgium Adventures

My parents arrived Monday morning and have already been here and there. My dad has been to the grocery now to see the bread slicer, chained up carts, self-scanner, unrefrigerated eggs and milk, and bring-your-own-bag experience. A fellow co-worker of K and my father brought his family over last night to reminisce and enjoy fajitas for dinner.

Today we first visited the Neuhaus Outlet store (and came out with 6 huge boxes of chocolates) and explored Brussels. We sat down to eat lunch at a quaint little place on the Grand Place and as I whipped out my camera to capture the moment, I realized my memory card was still in the computer back at the house. Poo! Nonetheless we walked down to see Manneken Pis and stopped in some Belgian lace stores as well. For dessert we just had to have some waffles. While Dad watched my sugared-up kids, Mom and I stopped in a local jewelry/pottery store.

We decided to drive out to the Atomium for a glance, not really planning on getting out of the car, until we noticed someone zip-line down a rope attached to a grassy area near the Atomium. Now our interest was sparked as we noticed people up at the very top where the Belgian flag flies. Individuals were tethered to a rope for security, only to slide down the top ball, and zip-line down the rest of the way to the ground! We stayed to watch about 10 people make their way down the rope, then drove back home with 2 sleeping kids in the back seat.

No comments: