Saturday, January 23, 2010

Dinner with the Amassador of the United States!

Or so we thought. The original invitation that came out via e-mail claimed we'd be having dinner with the Ambassador (Mr. Howard Gutman) at his residence. Wow!

We signed up along with our friends since there were only a few available spots. How many people can say they've ever had dinner with an American Ambassador? We figured this had to be great blog material! We had booked a babysitter, and I bought a new dress thinking this was going to be a great night out on the town.

Closer to the actual date of the dinner, we received an invitation in the post (that's what the UK people call it) stating that we were invited to an information meeting. To me, that's way different than eating dinner with the Ambassador. And so it was. We arrived with a glimmer of hope that we were still having dinner. There were some hors d'oeuvres that came around, but not enough to fill my tummy, let alone my 6'7" tall husband's stomach! We stood up the entire time, which surprised me as well to listen to the Ambassador talk about world peace and his goals while he's in office. Then a colleague of his spoke about how the US Embassy is here for us whenever we need them - so just call him anytime if we're in a bind. I felt like Junie B. Jones (you have to read her books to understand) when I was standing there thinking, "Yeah, only I would call you, but you haven't even given me your phone number in case something drastic does happen to me."
We didn't leave there completely disappointed and hungry, a kind lady working at the residence gave us a tour of the dining room and areas around the lower level of the house. Supposedly the Ambassador's wife, Michelle, picked this glass dress to display here in their entry area so we decided it was a picture moment.

In the end, I was too shy to ask for a picture with the Ambassador, but did get some photos of us with our friends before K and I headed to McDonald's to satisfy our appetites until it was time to relieve the babysitter.

No comments: