Saturday, January 23, 2010

Please Don't Spread Rumors!

I'm not sure about red tape in the states. I never knew many people from outside the country, and if I did, I didn't inquire about required steps taken to reside in the U.S.

Here, there are procedures. You've been with me through many procedures while we acquired our visas, turned them into the commune (government workers), and received our identity cards to be legal here. Well, after a year of gaining the identity card, another trip to the commune is required. K made that trip just last week, and the lady working with him mentioned the police would have to make another trip to make sure we did live where we said we did, were who we said we were, etc.

We just happened to have other children here while I was babysitting so their mother could attend her school conferences. (The kids were out of school all day today.) You can see what's coming. Perfect timing. The gate bell rang. I glanced to see who it could be. Oh yeah, the police were to show up. And they have been true to their word. So, I had to open the gate and let them in even though I didn't know what the kids would all think.

The boys were playing the Wii right in front of the huge window in the front of our house where they could perfectly see the name "POLICE" on the car that drove to the front door. The guest says, "Um, why are the police here?" For a moment I could tell he was thinking, "What kind of home do you make here?"

I just was honest and told the kids they had to check up on us and make sure we really lived here. So, it was pretty painless after that. The police woman was extremely kind, speaking in English, standing in the doorway even when I invited her inside, doing her job quickly since she could tell I had a houseful.

As she went to leave, she bent down admiring the dog, and asked, "What is the dog's name?" Of course, Belgians LOVE canines! Kelsey receives admirers everywhere she goes!

Anyway, I'm just hoping that my story matches any others that end up flying around school since you know the stories kids can come up with!

1 comment:

Tse Family said...

Unfortunately they have had extensive experience with the police since moving here...usually it involves "wallet misplacement". In the last situation we opted to tell them that Mommy and Daddy both miplaced our wallets rather than the ugly truth. He asked, "You BOTH lost your wallets?!?!" Rather than worrying him about dangerous criminals breaking and entering, we worried him that we are both losing our minds at the same time!
I'm sure my son was relieved to know it isn't an epidemic...you are just an obedient rule follower. ;0)