Friday, January 16, 2009

Beggers Can't be Choosers

So you probably already know our story about the car. K just recently received his work permit, which is needed for a visa. We should have obtained the visa before we came to Belgium (in the US at a Belgian embassy), however, Lilly was in the process of changing job assignments and in the midst of this we fell through the cracks. It ended up that we were scrambling to bring paperwork we thought we needed instead of someone from work directing us and taking care of our situation (thanks to our new friend Julie for saving us!). In Begium you need a Belgian card to get anything...a car, a credit card, etc. You have to check in at your local commune (city) and bring the necessary paperwork along with your visa to obtain the priceless Belgian Card! At the moment we only have one car, but like I said before, we can't get another until K goes back to the US to obtain his visa, then goes to the commune to get the Belgian card. This was getting a little tricky to plan our days and weeks with only one car. It was fine while I was at home unpacking and waiting for various people like the fuel guy, the internet guy, the rental furniture men, you get the point. The American Women's Club has a wonderful "Hints for Living in Belgium" class that comes highly recommended that I was going to take next week. So we needed another car for K to make it to work on time and me to the class on time as well.
So K calls me a few days ago and says, "They're going to drop off a car for you! Lilly will allow us to use one of theirs until we can get our own!" I was elated! FREEDOM! On top of my excitement, I find out it's a BMW! Wow! How much fun will that be...driving around a Beemer!
I get the phone call yesterday that someone will come by today and drop off the car between 9 and noon. Great! Can't wait! My first stop will be to take J's birthday treats to school. (I'll fill you in on those later.)
Outside my window this morning there's a green truck kind of like a semi truck. This can't be the guy I'm waiting for with my car. Well, then again, the car could be inside. So I hear our gate buzz and come to find out, he has the car in his truck! Oh boy! My coat is on and I dash outside to see my cute new BMW. I watch as he raises the truck top only to find a beautiful blue...station wagon. What? Yes, it's a beautiful color of blue, and I just love the color, but I'd rather be driving a scooter than a station wagon. (Surely the kids would fit in some kind of side car or something?) I have flashbacks to my youth when my parents owned a station wagon (actually two) and I thought it was so uncool. I had vowed never to own one. Now I'm in Belgium about to drive one for about a month and in my mind I hear, "Well, A, beggers can't be choosers." So, I'll praise God that I have a car today and hold my head high and drive my BMW station wagon around town.

No comments: