Friday, January 30, 2009

No Problem

As I was eating lunch with a mom from school today she told me that usually when the Belgians say, "No problem," you're going to have some problems. I completely believe her. Our sea shipment arrived January 6th and the movers gave us a phone number to call when all the boxes were unpacked. They would return to pick up the empty boxes and protective paper with "no problem". I was so thankful.
We now have an entire car sized area of our garage filled with broken down boxes and packing paper. Every morning there is frost to scrape off the car windshields. We are ready for this pick up so we can start utilizing the garage again! Monday I called the hand written phone number that supposedly will put me through to someone who can set up a date the movers will return. After talking to 6 different people, each saying at different points in the conversations, "Is this a military move?" "No." "Oh, then I need to put you through to someone that can handle commercial moves." I thought I had finally reached the "commerical moves" person (5 times). The date was Wednesday between 3 and 5. I was here waiting and waiting. At 5:00 I called to see what had happened. I had heard numerous stories like this where people had waited all day for a repairman to come and they never showed. We had heard people say, "It's just the Belgian way." At 5:00 supposedly everyone had already gone home for the evening.
So I called again today and talked with 4 more people who finally put me through to hopefully the correct "commercial moves" person. We're trying this again. The date is Tuesday between 3 and 5.
I told K this is the last I'm dealing with it. My next move will be to call his sweet Human Resources lady (the company is really small out here so she has been helping us with many other things). She has been very protective of us, which I greatly appreciate, and has called in the past to check to make sure other services went as planned. I think I'll let her yell at them in french since I haven't had time to work on my Rosetta Stone software (still too busy grocery shopping - which I did find my pour septique item today!).

No comments: